Upravit stránku

ABOUT US

VÍTKOVICE HEAVY MACHINERY is a traditional Czech company that originated at the birth of the metallurgic industry in Vítkovice. Along with the decision to establish an iron works in 1828 by the archbishop of Olomouc, Rudolf Jan, a machine shop was also established in Vítkovice to make steam engines, bridges, railway cars, mining tools and furnace machines.

Over the course of the 190 years of heavy machinery history in Ostrava, the company has built an impressive reputation with global reach, with its vision and experience in the heavy industry and power industry influencing the Czech industrial environment as well as reaching over to international investments and development projects to a significant extent.

Thanks to the in-house steel production, the manufacturing portfolio includes products for a wide range of industrial fields, from deliveries of comprehensive engineering solutions for steel mills, rolling mills, special heavy industry equipment or surface mines, to castings and precisely machined forgings for the power, shipbuilding, steel working, cement and mining industries, as well as deliveries of raw ingots, forged bars and rolled rims for railway and tram equipment.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1828

Establishment of Iron Works

Proclamation issued by the archbishop Rudolf I of Bohemia, authorizing professor F.X. Riepl and Franz Kleinpetr, the manager of the iron works in Frýdlant, to establish an iron works facility.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1843

Rothschild Iron Works

Subsequent to Rothschild’s acquisition of the Vítkovice iron works from the archbishop Rudolf for 321,000 gold pieces, the company established its first machinery manufacturing program.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
Totalansicht der Gussstahlfabrik
1850

Machine Shop Established

The machinery workshop eventually grew into two separate departments specializing in bridge construction and boiler production, respectively. Additionally, the company expanded its production portfolio to steam engines, mining machines, blast furnace equipment, profiles, beams, railway wheels and switches.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1876

Appointment of Kupelwieser as CEO

Paul Kupelwieser appointed the CEO. He further expanded the company’s production capability by adding the copper and pipe rolling mills, while also initiating the production of naval armor plates. He transformed Vítkovice into a city of unique architecture and advanced social structure.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1897

Shipbuilding Program

The first Vitkovice crankshaft was manufactured for the battle cruiser Habsburg belonging to the Austrian-Hungarian Navy. Since that time, the shipbuilding program has been a permanent part of the company’s production portfolio supplying high quality marine components for naval and commercial vessels around the world.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1914

New Steel Mill

Commencement of new steel and rolling mill operations - the most modern European facility at the time.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1922

Electrification

The mining and furnace facilities became fully electrified.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1932

Great Depression

Despite the worldwide economic crisis, Vítkovice Machinery pulled off some remarkable projects such as a 234m bridge over the Old Dnieper river in Kiev (1930–1932), a spherical gas tank in Prague-Libeň (1932), as well as the rotary bridge over the Milgravis river in Riga (1934). All designed in Vítkovice.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1937

Output Pinnacle

The annual production reached 19.9 million tonnes of raw materials and products.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1945

Nationalization

The Ministry of Industry issued the nationalization order on October 27, 1945 and changed the company’s name into Vítkovické železárny Zavod 3 (“Vítkovice Iron Works - Facility 3”). The name was later changed to Těžká Mechanika (“Heavy Machinery”).

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1957

Product Innovations

First vacuum steel ingot cast.
First compound crankshaft manufactured.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1967

New Headquarters

The new Vitkovice headquarters building was completed in 1967. It was designed by Oskar Oehler and Lubomír Šlapeta, two of the most accomplished architects from the era of the First Republic (1918-1938).

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1968-1970

Delivery of the Century

Heavy Machinery completed the delivery of the century involving a number of key components for the 3.6m KVARTO rolling mills for the Ždanov metallurgical plant on the shores of the Sea of Azov.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1974

Power Plant Deliveries

Boilers delivered for the Chvaletice and Tušimice power plants. Riese extrusion plant contract signed.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1978

Civilian Nuclear Power Program

The first nuclear power plant components produced (steam generators and volume compensators).

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1988

Hydro-Power Industry

Turbine shafts for the Gabčíkovo–Nagymaros Dams delivered. Production of the Žižkov Television Tower steel frame completed.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
1992

Establishment of VÍTKOVICE a.s.

January 31, VÍTKOVICE re-established as a joint-stock company.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2001

Group Dissolution

The Vítkovice Group dissolved, turning Heavy Machinery into VÍTKOVICKÉ STROJÍRENSTVÍ a.s.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2003

VÍTKOVICKÝ holding

The majority of VÍTKOVICE, a. s. Shares acquired by LAHVÁRNA OSTRAVA led by Ing. Jan Světlík; this stabilized the Group making it competitive once again.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2004

The Wind Power Boom

600 steel shafts delivered for various wind power plants in Denmark.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2005

Birth of VHM

VÍTKOVICKÉ STROJÍRENSTVÍ a.s. changed its business name to VÍTKOVICE HEAVY MACHINERY a.s.(VHM).

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2006-2010

Power Plant Boilers

New boiler equipment delivered to the reconstructed power plants at Prunéřov and Tušimice.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2010

Quick-Swage Frame

Quick-Swage Frame designed for Vítkovice Hammering delivered.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011

TOCOMA Shafts

Super heavy turbine shafts (135t/13m each) and Kaplan turbine hubs delivered to TOCOMA for the world’s most powerful hydro plant at Manuel Piar, Venezuela.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2018

Particle Accelerator Components

Magnet piece components delivered for the NICA project – the particle accelerator built by the Joint Institute of Nuclear Research (JINR) in Russia.

2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2011 - Tocoma transport TH 03
2019

VHM goes it alone

Dissolution of Vitkovice Group (2018). Arrival of a new investor enables VHM to successfully emerge from its court-ordered insolvency proceedings and resume normal operations.

 
 
 
Nahoru